As the fallout from Christchurch continues, we now learn that both the Australian and NZ governments failed to have Brendan Tarrant on any kind of watchlist despite plenty of warning signs:
“Ms Ardern said authorities were “live” to the growth of violent right-wing extremist groups. But Tarrant was not on an Australian or New Zealand watch list.
“This individual should have been someone that the
authorities were aware of and were proactively already focused on,” she
“Those are the exact questions that we have asked and that the agencies are working on.”
So how does that work with the guy posting his intentions all over the internet, including several days before on Twitter? Not to mention the fact that he also travelled to several high terrorism risk countries by himself in addition to what we know.
We now also discover
he mailed his manifesto directly to the Prime Minister and several other government
“The Prime Minister’s Office has confirmed it received a copy of a “manifesto” from the alleged gunman less than 10 minutes before the attacks began on Friday – along with about 70 other recipients.
Other politicians on the mailing list included National leader Simon Bridges and Parliament’s Speaker Trevor Mallard. Most of the other recipients were media, both domestic and international, a spokesman for Jacinda Ardern confirmed. The Herald was not listed among recipients.
It had been framed as though events had occurred, he said.
“The mail was setting his reasons for doing it. He didn’t say this is what I am about to do. There was no opportunity to stop it.”
Sure, 10 minutes lead time (if true) of someone’s intentions, which could just as easily be dismissed as some crank (think of how much spam email politicians receive), really isn’t enough to prevent these things. However, the point above of repeated warnings and suspicious behaviour online from the gunman pointed to plenty of reason for Police or security agency action.
At the very least, why wasn’t his firearm licence cancelled long before?
Those of us old enough to remember in 1996 exactly what John Howard did in those 12 days when he rammed the NFA through. Outrage followed by wave after wave of anti-gun propaganda, followed by fake promises of consultation with firearm owners and then boom, standing in front of a crowd of gun owners in Sale telling them “I’m sorry there’s nothing else I can do.”
It seems that moment has already transpired with Labor idiot David Parker telling a crowd exactly that yesterday.
The irony of this scenario is Jacinda Ardern is playing right into the gunman’s hands, by giving him exactly what he wished for in his manifesto:
Quite the conundrum for Jacinda. How is she going to justify this? Not giving into terrorists by giving terrorists exactly what they want? It’s also double the conundrum for her as she, like any vacuous progressive, loves to virtue signal along cultural and racial lines as we saw yesterday. In other words, she’s going to worsen the already inflamed cultural war.
The whole premise of the firearm ban proposal, while not surprising at all, is absurd. An immigrant killed a whole bunch of immigrants, with what appeared to be illegally modified firearms, while posting his intentions repeatedly and the solution to that is to punish 250,000 Kiwi gun owners by restricting their freedoms and confiscating their property?
Pull your head in, Jacinda. We know this is the emotion phase of an attack where people aren’t thinking clearly and politicians attempt to exploit this to the hilt for their own end. Any suggestion of further firearm restrictions, particularly when the laws are already incredibly tight and New Zealand has not had an incident of this severity for nigh on 30 years, is purely agenda driven nonsense by snakes of the likes of Chris Cahill and co.
Explain why your government failed to keep NZ citizens safe and holster the divisive rhetoric because it will only create further division, which is exactly what the gunman also wants.